Information request

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Wed Apr 12 05:32:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 14:14 +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >If I understand correctly, C could send out a signal "SampleSignal" on
> >interface "com.c.MySignals", and both A and B can receive this signal if
> >they set up a correct filter. Correct?
>
> That is correct.
Great.

> >Is it possible for C to do a method call to method "i SomeMethod(i,s)"
> >to all objects implementing the "org.foo.SomeIface" interface, and
> >getting replies from all these objects?
>
> Not automatically.
>
> It could do a bus-search and find all objects in all services that
> implement that interface, but not only would that be inefficient, it is
> also not atomic (services could connect and disconnect at any time).
>
> Also note that not all applications provide introspection support.
Right... Any plans to make this possible somehow?
I described the use-case yesterday here[1]. As you can see, there's no
way for me to know the name of services and object paths implementing a
specific interface (and afaik only one app/object can "own" a
service/object pair), whilst it's perfectly possible there are eg 2 IM
clients running on your desktop (gaim+gossip, kopete+gajim, whatever)
publishing a "IMStatusController" object.

Thanks,

Ikke
http://www.eikke.com

[1] http://blog.eikke.com/index.php/ikke/2006/04/11/common_interfaces