solaris /dev/console patch

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 16:21:36 PDT 2006

Robert McQueen wrote:
> In general, yes, but in Linux the ioctl to get the current foreground
> console needs root, so we're going to get a process call every time we
> do this check anyway. Perhaps forcing everyone to go down that route
> might be a little over-zealous. Would you suggest we just select
> different implementations/method bodies with ifdefs?

Well, I think things can be more or less cleanly done, or done
differently (separate files, runtime selection, single huge function
with #ifdefs)

I'm just saying, let's not create a generic plugin architecture or
something ;-) it's really not that much code in question.

Unless you cache the separate process result I think it'll be on the
slow side... potentially called once per message, no? Not that anything
using this is necessarily time-critical right now.