solaris /dev/console patch

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 17:46:55 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> With time I want to extend the bus policy configuration so the bus will
> simply ask the policy kit daemon whether the user is privileged. Thus I
> would be able to write
>
>   <policy polkit="local-desktop-console">
>     <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
>     <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
>     <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
>     <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
>   </policy>
>
> to block most of the requests at the bus-level. What do people think of
> that? Would a patch like that be accepted?

I actually suggested to Matthew when we first discussed this in the pub
that the ultimately correct solution to the "how do I add support for
checking foreground users" problem was a service that the bus daemon
could call to ask whether to grant a particular request, that the
display managers kept updated. So, yeah, I'd be happy to see this! :)

>     David

Regards,
Rob