FAQ notes

Jeroen T. Vermeulen jtv at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 18 23:26:44 PDT 2006

Hello,

Here's a question that might be nice for the FAQ: what, if any, guarantees
on message ordering does d-bus make?  It's one of the first things I
wondered about, but I haven't come across any documentation on it.

As the simplest case, let's say I want to call methods foo and bar on an
object--in that order.  Let's also say I don't care about the results
until afterwards.  Any information that flows from one call to the next is
held by the object; if foo fails, bar will not do anything harmful.  The
only thing I really care about is that I'd like to foo and bar to succeed,
and if they do, they must do so in the right order.

In a situation like this, I might be tempted to fire off two asynchronous
calls to foo and bar, and then await responses for both.  Does d-bus
guarantee that the calls will arrive at the object in the same order in
which I sent them off?

Jeroen