Authentication info?

Jeroen T. Vermeulen jtv at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 28 04:16:35 PDT 2006

With some digging I found some information about authentication and
security policies in D-BUS, but I wonder: is there any way for an object
to receive authentication information about a requesting client?

This information could be useful to have in situations where the results
of a method invocation depend on who's invoking it.  For example, I could
imagine asking an address book object about entries in my personal address
book, and in certain shared address books.  Or people might decide
dynamically whether I am allowed to access their address books.

If this is not possible, I guess one could code around it by giving each
user an address book object of his own, with the user name embedded in its
path, and writing policies saying that each user is allowed to request the
information from "his" address book object.  But in some cases that
doesn't seem appropriate, and it looks like it could cause some minor
complications when new users are added.

Jeroen