Introduction to D-BUS

Jeroen T. Vermeulen jtv at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 29 04:06:25 PDT 2006

On Mon, August 28, 2006 20:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>> 4. If it's true that a client can create a proxy on an object behind an
>> un-activated service's connection (as Raphaël's Activation Tutorial
>> says),
>> why does the D-BUS Tutorial's section on the Python binding say that one
>> of the two ways of listening for a signal, which uses a proxy, requires
>> the service to be active first?
>
> I don't know much about the python bindings, but presumably the python
> signal implementation wants to bind to the unique name or something like
> that.

Right...  Your explanation of the differences there can be between proxy
implementation makes it all fit together a lot more sensibly.

I've updated my text accordingly (see under proxies and under activation),
and added a first set of Python examples.  I'll keep adding things there
as I discover them, or as they are explained to me.  Please check back
from time to time and let me know about any errors--whether they be
omissions, misunderstandings, or even typos!

http://thaiopensource.org/development/suriyan/wiki/DbusNotes

Thank you,

Jeroen