Introduction to D-BUS

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 09:14:19 PDT 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> It's being changed to be "for name" exclusively. You can get the old
> behaviour by calling GetNameOwner, if you wanted, and then create your
> proxy on the name owner instead.
>
> The rationale that we see is that we don't really care if a name got
> restarted or replaced: applications generally want to talk to a service,
> whichever application is providing it.

The purpose of the "for name owner" is that if an API involves any kind
of "conversation" you do need to care about restart.

e.g. if the API is:

  int id = GetId();
  DoStuffWithId(id);

or something like that. Essentially, anytime the API is "stateful" then
"for name owner" is probably appropriate, and anytime the API is not
stateful then "for name owner" is needlessly annoying/inefficient.