Introduction to D-BUS

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 30 01:12:03 PDT 2006

Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
>I guess they'd have to...  AFAICS you ask to listen to a specific signal
>*name* (can you omit the interface name there as well BTW?) but if there
>are multiple with the same name, is there currently any way of selecting
>exactly which one you want?

Again, this is binding-dependant. There's nothing stopping the binding
from implementing what you described. And I think they should implement
it. I did it for the Qt binding.

>Fully reliable and complete information on what signals the object or
>interface can emit is not generally available, from what I've heard so
>far, because of concurrency issues and the dynamic nature of object
> types. So the binding would have to compare each incoming signal to the
> signature of the client's handler for the signal.

I don't see your point here. We know what signals an interface can emit
and we can know what interfaces an object possesses. But how that affects
anything, I fail to see.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358