various problems with dbus-0.92 and dbus-glib-0.71

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 11:13:17 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 16:32 +0200, frederic heem wrote:
> Hi,
> With libxml2, libxml2-devel and expat installed but not expat-devel.
> The dbus-0.92 build system fails to compile because it cannot find expat.h.
> Another problem is when even if the option --with-xml=libxml is given to
> configure. It ignores it and really want to use expat.h.
> Installing expat-devel resolves these problems.

We pretty much don't support libxml2 compiles but would accept patches
to fix this.

> Now dbus-0.92 is installed in /usr/local while dbus-0.61 (the original from a
> fc3) is installed in /usr

apps should always be installed into /usr/local by default.  You need to
set your flags if you want it to install somewhere else.  In FC3 and 4
we install to /usr and in FC5 and 6 we install to / for various reasons

> Regarding dbus-glib-0.71, it first detects the wrong dbus, the one installed
> in /usr and fails to compile because dbus/dbus-shared.h cannot be found.

You need to set your PKG_CONFIG_DIR to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

> Indeed, the cflags -I${includedir}/dbus-1.0 -I${libdir}/dbus-1.0/include is
> not present. pkconfig is looking for /usr/lib/pkgconfig/dbus-1.pc instead
> of /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/dbus-1.pc.
> Using "./configure --prefix=/usr"  make it compile, or set
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/
> I strongly recommend to the dbus team to have a look at another build system
> such as cmake (www.cmake.org).

This is all correct behavior cmake is not an option on the table for
Linux builds.

> Last but not least.  dbus-deamon is not deleting its pid file upon receiving a
> signal INT (CRTL-C).

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.  Most apps will do the same thing.