Improving freedesktop.org

dennis dbus at nomoreheroes.org.uk
Thu Aug 31 15:32:40 PDT 2006

First I think having a "friendlier" front page would be a good start, so
that it doesn't look plain and uninviting to non-technical people. I've
a reason for thinking this, so bear with me.

I would add a lot more information about all the configuration options
that can be put into xorg.conf, the more readable it is for people who,
despite being technically minded, don't necessarily know much about x
the better. I'm not exactly a newbie and there's a lot about the X
config that I could understand better, if only I had a better guide on
what all the options do.

It might also be a good thing to have some articles aimed more at end
users promoting the technologies being developed, rather than leaving it
to others to do. This might even be as simple as largely allowing
content to be reproduced. A lot of good work is being done, so shout
about it. Unoriginal content might sound a waste, but having a local
copy ensures it's available and links are not broken. It'll also
enlighten people who are not looking to find out what certain
technologies are doing, but "have a lot" because it's been put under
their noses whilst they're at freedesktop for other reasons.

Articles and/or tutorials, related to things being done by
freedesktop.org, aimed at people new to coding., or just not experienced
enough to feel comfortable diving straight into the stuff that's
available already. Of course, it'd also be important to keep these up to
date, but the basic idea of them would be introducing people to how to
use the more in-depth technical documentation that's available.

That might not be what freedesktop.org is all about to a lot of people,
but I think there could be a lot of benefit from doing some or all of
those ideas.

Dennis