dbus-python 0.80rc2 release candidate

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 13:17:30 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 18:29 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Release candidate 2 for dbus-python 0.80 is now available. Please
> download, test, try to break it (and hopefully you'll have to try harder
> this time :-)

It is working pretty good this time around.  Will do more testing.

> * Weak reference handling was completely wrong in 0.80rc1. Oops. It now
>   works.

Yay, no more crashes.

> * If you just do "import dbus" (and not "import dbus.types"), saying
>   "dbus.types.Int32" and "dbus.exceptions.DBusException" now works again;
>   it did in 0.71, but didn't in 0.80rc1. This is for compatibility with
>   Sugar; I'm not sure whether this should work or not, so this change
>   might be reverted in future.

Ya this is wrong in sugar if it does that without import
dbus.exceptions.  I say revert it.  We can fix sugar to work with older
versions by putting in the import.

> * The examples from dbus/examples/ are now in examples/. All except the
>   GConf examples have been updated. The GConf examples didn't work in
>   0.71 and still don't, although they do now print a message on startup
>   warning that this is the case.

They haven't worked since 0.22 or something.  In fact I think they may
have only worked in Seth's tree.  I think we can write an easier to
understand example when we implement object tree handling.

> * The explicitly_pass_message decorator has been removed (in rc1 it was
>   present but had no effect).

This was an ugly hack that I even had a comment should only be used for
debugging.  Fine to kill it.

Great work.