D-Bus causes a problem during upgrades when the configuration file has changed

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 16 09:52:08 PST 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>Upgrading D-Bus may cause the current bus to quit and take down your X
>session.  This is an issue when moving from any previous release to
>version 1.0.x which introduces the <standard_session_servicedirs /> tag.
>Since the current running bus does not understand this when it tries to
>reload it exits and brings down the X session.  I'm guessing the best
>way to handle this is to not exit on reload.  Right now fedora is just
>not exiting ever since we ran into this bug and I think Debian had this
>patch in for awhile now.  In any case there has to be a better way to
>handle this issue.

I'd say that the best action when doing a reload is to abort the operation
if an invalid config file is found, going back to the previous
configuration.

This will only happen when we add things to the config files that the
previous daemon version did not support. This should not happen within
patch releases (i.e., all D-Bus 1.0.x config files should be backwards
and forwards compatible).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358