Leaking autolaunched busses

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 16 09:56:31 PST 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>The autolaunch code is pretty useful for when you log into another user
>in a terminal and run an app that requires D-Bus.  Unfortunately all of
>these busses are tied to the X session so if you log in as 100 users you
>get 100 busses and logging out of that user does not close them.
>Autolaunched busses should be smart enough to close themselves on a
>timeout if there are no apps attached to it (apps like gnome-vfs should
>be smart enough to know no one is talking to it and exit after a timeout
>so they don't block the bus).  It is not a huge issue but we should fix
>it at least in the development version.

Agreed. DCOP had the same behaviour.

It also had the concept of "daemon services": it would commit suicide,
after a timeout, as long as no "daemon services" were connected.

We have no such concept. Introducting just the timeout will help as long
as no program stays connected.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358