Managed D-Bus 0.3

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 16 14:33:51 PST 2006

Alp Toker wrote:
> [...]
> of dbus-sharp-glib 0.2. Based around a clean-room implementation of the
> D-Bus protocol and specification version 0.11, dbus-sharp is a
> full-featured .NET IPC library that is fully compatible with libdbus and
> released under the MIT license.
>
> See http://www.ndesk.org/DBusSharp
>
> 0.2 (which was unannounced) brought complete support for reading and
> writing big-endian messages.
>
> It added to the provided "org.freedesktop.DBus" interface description:
>
> string[] ListActivatableNames ();
>
> These undocumented calls were also added with the caveat that they are
> marked "Obsolete":
>
> string[] ListQueuedOwners (string name);
> uint GetConnectionUnixProcessID (string connection_name);
> byte[] GetConnectionSELinuxSecurityContext (string connection_name);
>
> The 0.3 release brings:
>
> * Support for FreeBSD socket credentials
> * Enhanced reporting of error conditions and exceptions
> * Extensive message validation when DBUS_VERBOSE is set
> * Complete support for object tree XML introspection
> * Improved handling of threaded and asynchronous calls
> * Correct handling of addresses including escaping/unescaping
> * Support for the "tcp" transport method
> * Any type can now be passed by value, not just C# structs
> * Fast paths for certain blittable data structures
> * Several smaller correctness and performance fixes
>
> There is one API-breaking change:
>
> * The enum formerly named "NameReply" is now "RequestNameReply"
>
> This change was essential to make the implementation match the naming
> conventions set out in the specification.
>
> There has been a lot of exciting work done outside of the core managed
> D-Bus implementation in the time since 0.1 was released:
>
> * Aaron Bockover gave a well-attended presentation on managed D-Bus at
> GNOME Live! The amount of interest from the GNOME camp is very encouraging.
>
> GNOME applications that have made releases bundling managed D-Bus
> include Banshee, F-Spot and Tomboy as well as VMX Manager, dcsharp (a
> file sharing program), LAT (LDAP Administration Tool) and Landell (VoIP
> and IM client). What is interesting is that many of these programs go
> beyond using managed D-Bus for their own interfaces, also using it to
> consume D-Bus APIs provided by GNOME Power Manager, Network Manager,
> Notifications and Helix.
>
> Some applications (new and existing) are also now experimenting with
> code that uses managed D-Bus in creative ways, such as exposing bus
> names over UPnP and exploiting the "tcp" transport method to share
> sticky notes. I look forward to talking about these in the next set of
> release notes.
>
> Since managed D-Bus is written in purely managed code, the same build
> can now be deployed across 32 and 64 bit platforms, and has been used on
> Linux ARM (including the Nokia 770, Sharp Zaurus and Palm Tungsten T3),
> x86, AMD64, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Win32. Thanks to all the .NET hackers
> who have made "compile once, run anywhere" a reality!

Getting two warnings with this:

Address.cs(28,4): warning CS0278:
`System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary<string,string>' contains
ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method
`System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with
method
`System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair<string,string>>.GetEnumerator()'

gmcs -debug  -out:monitor.exe -t:exe   -r:../src/NDesk.DBus.dll  Monitor.cs
Monitor.cs(66,3): warning CS0278:
`System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary<NDesk.DBus.FieldCode,object>'
contains ambiguous implementation of `enumerable' pattern. Method
`System.Collections.IEnumerable.GetEnumerator()' is ambiguous with
method
`System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair<NDesk.DBus.FieldCode,object>>.GetEnumerator()'

It's also be nice if make install worked...

--
Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/