Leaking autolaunched busses

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 16 17:37:55 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>> The autolaunch code is pretty useful for when you log into another user
>> in a terminal and run an app that requires D-Bus.  Unfortunately all of
>> these busses are tied to the X session so if you log in as 100 users you
>> get 100 busses and logging out of that user does not close them.
>> Autolaunched busses should be smart enough to close themselves on a
>> timeout if there are no apps attached to it (apps like gnome-vfs should
>> be smart enough to know no one is talking to it and exit after a timeout
>> so they don't block the bus).  It is not a huge issue but we should fix
>> it at least in the development version.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand what's happening - the autolaunched bus should
> be an X client. If it gets disconnected, then it should exit.
>
> Are you saying that if user A logs out, their X clients can remain
> connected? What am I missing?

Havoc,

John and I are saying that when you open a terminal and then su - in as
another user and run an app. That user will get a session bus when you
exit out of that terminal the session bus won't go away for that user
since you're still logged in as your main user.

Another example is user U complains that app A doesn't work on their
desktop. App A is D-Bus aware. I ssh -Y into their box and launch the
app so I can see it on my desktop. On their machine a session bus will
be created. When I exit out, the session bus won't go away.

--
Doug Goldstein <cardoe at gentoo.org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/