D-Bus is killing me

Mystilleef mystilleef at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 20:08:06 PST 2006

On 12/18/06, Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Sorry, my use of the term "intra-process" may have been somewhat unclear.
> I should have said "within the same process". Within a single process you
> don't need D-Bus, you can just call functions/methods directly; if you're
> putting effort into making sure there is only ever a single process for
> your app (as you seem to be), then it's guaranteed that any "instance" you
> want to communicate with is in-process, so you never need to make calls to
> other instances that *aren't* in-process and everything is simple.
(snip)
>         Simon

Thanks for your insight. Inspired by your suggestion, I'll just create
an object (InstanceManager) that manages instances of my application.
It'll be responsible for creating new instances, keeping track of them
and enabling simple "in-process" communication (via functions,
signals, methods). I'll still use D-Bus to ensure all instances share
the same process. Or GtkUnique if it has python bindings.

Thanks