fast path for local D-Bus calls (was: D-Bus is killing me)

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Mon Dec 18 14:00:26 PST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I was thinking of shortcutting before creating the message where you
> check the dest against an internal list of owned names and call the
> method directly in which case the only overhead is the lookup. One thing
> I forgot about is you can pass the message into the exported method in
> which case this would not work.  Havoc also has some compelling
> arguments for knowing when you are doing remote calls.  Of course there
> are those like Avahi who want to totally mask these things.  Perhaps in
> any case we should have the lookup and error out appropriately when
> someone calls a name within their own address space.  We have the info
> to even suggest calling the method directly.

Also, don't forget this only solves the direct-re-entrancy case. People
still need to be aware when a blocking call to another process could
cause a method call back to you. It may be worth leaving this as is so
that people don't get too complacent and forget the other re-rentrancy
case.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson