did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 21 04:10:29 PST 2006

Arvind Ayyangar wrote:
>hi,
>

>I have written an application using libnotify. Libnotify calls the
>function exported by the notification daemon "Notify" but the dbus
>call returns an error
>Error domain: 134557464
>Message :- �age did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
>
>how do I overcome this? (I am new to dbus programming)

You didn't give us enough information to understand your problem.

How is your code written? How is the program invoked? How long is the
timeout that the message is reporting? Has the message been sent on the
bus (use the dbus-monitor program)? Has the notify daemon received and
acted on the message (you must have some debugging information on the
notification daemon, right)?

I am going to take a long shot here and guess you ran the application
under su or sudo. Just don't, since that won't work.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358