How does a home user fix a broken DBUS ?

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Wed Dec 27 11:54:20 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Rod Butcher wrote:
>> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends  exists
>> with contents :-
>>
>> [D-BUS Service]
>> Name=org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends
>> Exec=/usr/bin/system-tools-backends
>>
>> So this is supposed to be an autostartable service, right ? If it
>> exists, why the error message ?
>> What exactly is the calling program trying to do here ?
>
> The calling program is trying to talk to the program
> /usr/bin/system-tool-backends
>
> Perhaps you compiled dbus to look in /usr/local/share or something?
This is the output from configuration. I'm also using shorewall for
modem sharing.. can security be a problem here ?
                             D-Bus 1.1.0
                    ==============

          prefix:                   /usr
          exec_prefix:              /usr
          libdir:                   /usr/lib64
          bindir:                   /usr/bin
          sysconfdir:               /etc
          localstatedir:            /var
          datadir:                  /usr/share
          source code location:     .
          compiler:                 gcc
          cflags:                   -g -O2 -Wall -Wchar-subscripts
-Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs
-Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wsign-compare
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -fno-common -fPIC
          cppflags:
          cxxflags:                 -g -O2
          64-bit int:               long
          32-bit int:               int
          16-bit int:               short
          Doxygen:                  no
          xmlto:                    no

          Maintainer mode:          no
          gcc coverage profiling:   no
          Building unit tests:      no
          Building verbose mode:    no
          Building assertions:      no
          Building checks:          yes
          Building SELinux support: no
          Building dnotify support: yes
          Building X11 code:        yes
          Building Doxygen docs:    no
          Building XML docs:        no
          Building cache support:   yes
          Gettext libs (empty OK):
          Using XML parser:         expat
          Init scripts style:       redhat
          Abstract socket names:    yes
          System bus socket:        /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
          System bus address:
unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
          System bus PID file:      /var/run/messagebus.pid
          Session bus socket dir:   /root/tmp
          Console auth dir:         /var/run/console/
          Console owner file:       no
          Console owner file path:
          System bus user:          messagebus
          Session bus services dir: /usr/share/dbus-1/services
          'make check' socket dir:  /root/tmp

Thanks
Rod