When was dbus.service introduced in the python bindings?

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 05:55:13 PST 2006

Hello all,

I recently found a very cool looking tool called Jackfield, which
impliments OSX dashboard widgets under gnome. However, the assumptions
that the code makes about the structure ofthe dbus python module
conflict with what I see in my own dbus.py file. Since the application
checks dbus' version and refuses to run unless the dbus version is
>=0.40 and < 0.50 and I have 0.40 I am guessing that either there is a
different python binding out there (which I doubt) or there have been
structural changes since 0.40 that the author assumed were in 0.40. I
was hoping I could enumerate some of the differences and then get some
guidance. Hopefully toward patching the app so that it can handle dbus
as it is implimented on my Fedora Core 4 system (I think the author is
using Ubuntu).

Here are a few of the differences:

Jackfield tries to import dbus.service and goes on to call
dbus.service.Object, dbus.service.method and dbus.service.BusName. On
my system there is no dbus.service, Object and method are defined
within dbus.py its self and BusName is nowhere to be found.

Jackfield also tries to import dbus.glib, which I don't have, but
perhaps that's just a dependency I haven't installed?

If anyone can help me get an idea for what's going on here and, if
these are just structural changes introduced since 0.40, when the
change happend I can try and tweak the code to work for either
version.

Thanks!
--Brad