Announcing new version of the Qt4 bindings

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon Feb 13 14:41:25 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Absolutely, it's up to you guys. You are also welcome to keep the
>bindings wherever you want (as John mentions, there's been some recent
>discussion about where bindings should live, etc.). It's probably going
>to be practical to keep bindings separate from the dbus tarball now that
>the protocol and library are more or less stable and on the verge of
>1.0. But there are also advantages to the single distribution with all
>major bindings I guess.

We're still considering the options on where to keep them. We're
evaluating how beneficial it would be to use D-Bus from inside Qt itself,
which would probably mean moving the bindings to our system.

But nothing is decided yet on that front. So we'll keep them where they
are for the time being.

>Did you find any "this should really be fixed for 1.0" kind of issues in
>doing your bindings, btw?

Well, I've found one: the old deadlock problem.

If a function, which has been called as a result of signal delivery or
reply delivery, tries to place a new blocking call, the whole application
deadlocks.

The reason for that is that it dbus_connection_dispatch tries to acquire
the dispatcher while it's already locked by the same thread.

I'm told that D-Bus has been designed to avoid that from the start. But,
if so, I must be doing something wrong. If there's a solution, a pointer
in the right direction would be appreciated.

>As John also alludes to, it'd sure be nice to figure out how to
>round-trip lots of different kinds of method call through each binding;
>dbus_internal_do_not_use_generate_bodies() already exists that generates
>the lots of different kinds of message body so maybe that is useful. I
>don't think it's necessarily needed to test bindings vs. each other as
>long as each binding can round-trip a given block of arguments through
>itself then interoperability in principle works (at least as far as
>message arguments are concerned).

Depending on how the call is handled by the application, the Qt bindings
will lose information and not reply 1:1.

If the idea is to just round-trip, 1:1 matching is done already (or so I
believe).
--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway