Announcing new version of the Qt4 bindings

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Tue Feb 14 02:42:24 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Did you find any "this should really be fixed for 1.0" kind of issues in
>doing your bindings, btw?

I remembered two more things I consider to be a problem, but would fall
into the "nice to have" category.

1) The org.freedesktop.DBus.UnknownMethod reply is too broad.
When we receive a reply like that, we don't know if:
- the called object didn't exist
- the called object exists, but there is no such interface on it
- the called object and interface exist, but there's no such
method-signature on it

2) [related to 1] There's no way of telling if a remote object exists.
Even by introspecting it, if we get an UnknownMethod reply, we don't know
if the object doesn't exist or if it doesn't allow introspection. If we
try to ping it, we'll always get a success, because libdbus catches the
message.

The problem with fixing #1 would be that the API would change: the result
from the filters wouldn't be "handled / not handled", but would have to
indicate the reason why it didn't handle.

If we solve #1, solving #2 is trivial.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway