KDE adoption of D-Bus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Feb 15 07:31:59 PST 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this as a KDE developer.

In order to adopt D-Bus as a replacement for DCOP in KDE4, there are a
couple of things we'll need, aside from the Qt4 bindings that I'm taking
care of. So I'm wondering how far along these things are:

1) Windows and MacOS X support
KDE4 (or at least KDE 4 applications) is supposed to run on both of those
platforms. Has libdbus been ported to those platforms? Does it work? Are
there known problems?

2) starting the session bus daemon on demand
KDE 3 applications will currently start the DCOP server daemon if none is
running. This is necessary to provide the IPC that KDE 3 applications
require.

If we switch to D-Bus to accomplish those same tasks, KDE 4 applications
will need the D-Bus session server daemon to be started even if run in an
environment without it. To illustrate, imagine a user running Konqueror
inside his preferred window manager out of 1996 -- or on Windows.

In other words, is it possible to use D-Bus session if the daemon isn't
running and DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS isn't set?

I can provide the code myself in the Qt bindings or whichever KDE wrapper
we write, but I would rather see a common solution. Especially
considering this will very likely be the case for Windows and MacOS X.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.