KDE adoption of D-Bus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 05:45:18 PST 2006

Olivier Galibert wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:31:59PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> If we switch to D-Bus to accomplish those same tasks, KDE 4
>> applications will need the D-Bus session server daemon to be started
>> even if run in an environment without it. To illustrate, imagine a
>> user running Konqueror inside his preferred window manager out of 1996
>> -- or on Windows.
>
>I just want to point it that this happens more often than one might
>think.  I for one use things like konqueror, kcalc and khexdit while
>my WM is fvwm2.  I know a bunch of people that use kde (and gnome for
>that matter) applications but are not interested by the desktop
>itself.

And that's exactly why this solution in D-Bus -- in one way or another --
is a condition sine qua non for KDE.

We rely on IPC to make applications work. So, unless IPC is working, you
don't browse the web and you don't open files in khexedit or kwrite.

>The current startup time of kde applications outside of the kde
>desktop is a pain though, but heh.

That's in part related to the need to start the DCOP server and wait for
it to be running before the application can continue. The other part is
that we preload some of our libraries.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.