Introspect documentation for methods, signals, properties

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Fri Feb 17 02:03:36 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 13:30 +1000, Rohan McGovern wrote:
>> It seems that this could easily be done by defining a new well-known
>> annotation, say 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Description' or similar.  Then
>> DBUS service browser program could easily convey this information to
>> the
>> user.  What do you guys think?
>>
> A previous thread on this:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-October/003591.html
>
> Just a matter of someone experimenting with it, I think.

Having read this thread I think an org.freedesktop.DBus.Description
annotation is a good idea. Several people have worried about megabytes
of documentation ending up in the format; one suggestion would to only
have a short one-line description (which would solve most of the
problems) included in the standard introspection data, with the
possibility of more full docs available through another channel.

Although 1.0 can be released without an agreement on this, it's
definitely a "would be nice to standardise by 1.0" item imho.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/