Tracking users/sessions on the console

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 12 15:28:59 PST 2006

> I read "being system-aware" as it implies a split into two daemons 1) UI
> bits; and 2) system bits much like NetworkManager. Correct?

Yes.

> Btw, do you have comments to what I'm proposing specifically for D-BUS,
> e.g. the ConsoleTracker (instead of the big picture bits though I don't
> mind discussing those)? I'm curious; would this be feasible / easy to
> implement on Solaris too? Do you have something like this already?

Well, I was trying to come up with a use case for ConsoleTracker in
Solaris and couldn't find a compelling one, so that's why I asked by
first question.

Power management: Solaris device power management is implemented
entirely in the kernel. PM settings are system-wide. It is fully
automatic: the kernel PM daemon detects periods of inactivity and
attempts to power down leaf devices or even entire branches by calling
respective driver ops. That worked out pretty well in the past on sparc
systems, and x86 port is in progress. So there doesn't seem to be a need
for desktop-specific power management daemon at this time.

Networking: a project was recently started, called Network Auto-Magic
[1] that is taking a broad look at network configuration in Solaris.
It's too early to say how would that interact with the desktop, but I'm
pretty confident the UI will be separate (or even different UIs for
desktops and servers, who knows).

In terms of volume management, as you know this is still work in
progress. We haven't quite worked out volume sharing among multiple
users, but so far our requirements indicate one owner per device is the
most common case. Assigning devices to users is a separate issue though
- once we know who owns what, different users' copies of g-v-m should
not conflict. When noone is logged in on the console, it is assumed all
devices belong to root, and we'll run a root's copy of the volume
manager - not g-v-m; a basic, non-GUI, HAL-based volume manager. So
there isn't a use case for ConsoleTracker here either.

-Artem.

[1] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/approachability/nwam/