Tracking users/sessions on the console

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Sun Jan 29 02:24:35 PST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Sounds reasonable, though we obviously have to think about the security
> policy for it.

Does the address contain any secrets, or is the access control model
based on who owns the socket and can write to it?

> What do you mean exactly though,
> - the session buses themselves connect to the system bus

This sounds like a sensible suggestion

>>  2. Extend the dbus protocol to include $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS for
>>     every method call

I don't see why you need to pass the address with the call, you create a
new connection to the session bus and send calls on that. Relaying all
calls via the system bus does not seem sensible.

> A possible direction, not sure if it's what you were thinking or not -

<snip pseudocode>

> The approach there is that if you want to communicate with a session,
> you use the system bus just to bootstrap (to get the address of the
> session), then you have to connect to the session directly.

I like this

Matt

> Seems to me that it's fine for desktop apps to connect to the system bus
> directly though, so I'm not sure lots of stuff is needed in an interface
> like this.

Yup, definitely, a lot of them do anyway (desktop widgets that talk to HAL)

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/