Discovering services

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Mon Jul 3 10:15:27 PDT 2006

Hi all,

during guadec, rodrigo talked about his new project "atomato" based on
macox automator idea. He realized that org.freedesktop.DBus.ListNames
doesn't return services that have a .service file but they aren't active
on the bus. It's something that I also noticed when I was working on
porting libpanel-applet to dbus.

So, during the famous hackfest in the bungalow 525 I hacked a small
patch. It simply modifies ListNames to return also non active services
that have a .service file.

Maybe it's better to add a new method instead of using ListNames.

The patch is available here (against cvs head, I haven't been able to
get dbus from anongit):

http://carlosgc.linups.org/files/dbus-list-services.diff

Another problem we have found with "atomato" is that we need to call
introspect method for every service, but we don't want that a service
which was not active, keep active after returning introspect info.

Is it possible to deactivate services or something like that?

--
Carlos Garcia Campos (KaL)
   elkalmail at yahoo.es
   carlosgc at gnome.org