Session Bus vs. System Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 22:14:22 PDT 2006

Jehne, Dennis wrote:
> [root at localhost tools]# ./dbus-monitor --system
> Failed to open connection to system message bus: Failed to connect to
> socket /usr/local/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

If you fully rebuilt dbus with --localstatedir=/var there's no way
you'll get this error... if you're still getting it after that, then
something is not rebuilt, or not reinstalled, or not restarted, or not
deleted.

If you're getting a different error now then let us know what it is.

Replacing the system bus on a system that already has an rpm/deb
packaged system bus I would consider a plenty advanced thing to do
though... it's not something I'd mess with if you can help it. If
possible, replacing the rpm/deb with a new one would be a lot better
than trying to somehow overwrite the rpm/deb stuff with a tarball build.