dbus-glib - removing the generated bus method wrappers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jul 25 08:57:50 PDT 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Matthew Johnson wrote:
>> what about stuff needed to generate them in the glib bindings? or in
>> the java bindings? Who generates these and for which bindings?

They should be there as well, if they are required for proper code
generation.

The interface XML's author should accept patches from people trying to
bind to it if those modifications are necessary. Think of it as analogous
to a C++ developer asking a C maintainer to add

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif

guards to his C headers, so that they can be used from C++ as well.

>This is one of the biggest reasons I was suggesting not putting the
>binding-specific code generation tips in the xml.
>
>If we keep the installed xml to only a "typelib" then bindings simply
>have to be able to work with that, which I think is right - if a binding
>allows extra code-generation tweaking, it should have a feature for
>doing that via a second file (perhaps an xml file that gets "merged").
>But it should always be possible to use some default settings to
>generate something plausible from just a typelib I'd think.

Not so with the Qt bindings. If you use any complex type (structs or any
array that is not "as" or "ay", including the dictionaries), you need to
tell the binding tool which class name that is. Otherwise, it'll skip the
generation completely.

Merging XML data shouldn't be difficult, though. I hadn't thought about
that. But between maintaining two files in sync with each other and
maintaining a single one, I'd rather do the latter.

>> Can we make a decision on this? I really think there should be the
>> ability to include documentation in these, at least single-line
>> summaries. I think that a very good API resource is the introspection
>> data prettified (for example with my XSLT[1]).
>
>Let's not mix the docs thing in with installing the introspection files
>discussion if possible. If someone wants to independently write up the
>issues, propose a spec patch, etc. on the docs front then cool.

However, the installed files should contain documentation. It's even more
important than introspection over running programs.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358