Naming convention for Objects/Interfaces etc.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jul 25 09:04:14 PDT 2006

Baris Cicek wrote:
>Hi;
>
>I'm just wondering if there's a naming convention for Services/Objects
>etc.
>
>From what I see it's like reverse domain, starting with
>org.Company/Organization.ServiceName.
>
>Wouldn't it be great to have some guidelines for developers to obey on
>this scheme? Say, gnome applications use org.gnome as prefix, and kde
>applications to use org.kde (which is the general case).
>
>Can we make it a written document? Or is there such a documentation
>about it?

I thought it was more than understood that service names and interfaces
are namespaced according to domain name registration. So, KDE is using
org.kde as its topmost level. Some interface names, however, take even
the program name if they are not considered "KDE global".

Object paths are completely non-namespaced. We're using whatever we want
there.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358