dbus-glib - removing the generated bus method wrappers

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Tue Jul 25 13:34:35 PDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> An idea I just had, what about a consistent mapping from a given
> interface/member to some tree of HTML on the filesystem? The HTML would be
> generated in whatever way people see fit, but the URLs would be specified.
> It's one thought anyway.
>
> What I mean is that e.g.
> file:///datadir/dbus/interface-docs/org.freedesktop.Hal.Whatever.html#Frobate
>
> is supposed to exist if we have the method Frobate on
> interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Whatever
>
> The app developer could then generate that from source code comments, or we
> could support an annotation in the MyAppDBusStuff.xml that dbus-binding-tool
> would suck out when it also sucks out the interfaces, or people could even
> write the HTML by hand. All the ways of generating the HTML would
> interoperate though since a documentation-displaying tool could just know the
> format of the URLs.
>
> This might lead to inconsistent presentation (different stylesheets and
> markup conventions in the various html files), but it might also be helpful
> for actually getting docs written, and keep the dbus maintainers out of the
> business of maintaining some kind of doc system.

IMHO this is a little complicated. I think the introspection data should
be sufficient (and auto-generated so that documentation JustHappens)
with a nice simple way to make it human readable, like my XSLT. Then you
just need to get the XML data and you're done.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/