screensaver and power manager dbus interfaces

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Thu Jun 1 11:30:41 PDT 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>>Next to that, care should be taken when using dbus in
>
>security-sensitive
>
>>applications, like a screensaver -> the always returning "abort when
>
>bus
>
>>crashes" issue. You cant allow a screensaver to abort at any time,
>>certainly not because of some external service.
>
>Does the current dbuslib implementation allow you to specify what to do
>when the dbus connection gets dropped? If not, then I think that should
>be added.

What do you mean, Waldo?

There's one option in libdbus-1 to quit the application if the connection
breaks, but as far as desktop applications go, it's pretty dangerous.
It's off by default.

The bindings should provide a higher-level interface to trigger a graceful
exit (saving files, etc.). Applications that are security-sensitive could
reconnect instead [also handled at a higher-level].

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway