DBus API problems & UTF-8

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Mon Jun 12 05:08:35 PDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Kimmo Hämäläinen wrote:

> Yes, I'm sure Gtk application developers like it, but sometimes UTF-8
> does not make much sense. Sometimes they just want to pass C strings
> around conveniently.

The point is that you don't know who is calling your DBus functions,
from what language. If you export a method then your programs might be
happy talking iso-whatever, but another programmer writing in Qt, Java
and so on might not be. Not everyone has C-strings, as a Java developer
I don't want to have to read in your byte array and convert it to UTF8
(which all strings are in Java).

DBus should be standardising what goes over the wire so that it is easy
for people to access your interfaces from any language. Allowing
arbitrary encodings does not support this.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
http://www.matthew.ath.cx/