Namespace and Schema concerning Introspection Data Format

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Mon Jun 12 14:08:28 PDT 2006

Hello DBus-developers,

At best, I know little about DBus. I hope you have oversight for my lack of
insight. Nevertheless, I took a quick look at your XML related things, and
here are my suggestions:

* Put the Introspection Data Format in an XML namespace. When one thinks
closer about this, one notices that all major vocabularies already is in a
namespace, be it XHTML, SVG, Open Document or XSL-T -- the list goes on. The
reason, is to play nice with other formats, to be able to mix and embed
different formats. Doing it for the Introspection Data Format is hence
proofing for future developments, such as embedding documentation.

What should the namespace be? Without a deeper discussion, I would suggest a
HTTP scheme. What it would be more exactly, would depend on on how namespaces
for freedesktop.org/ is designed in order to organize the website, ensure
persistance, and so on.

* Specify the format in W3C XML Schema(WXS) instead of a DTD. The reasons are
many:
- You can more strongly validate and express your intent. Say, an attribute
containing a name can be validate with a regexp, an element can have the
content of a positive integer or a boolean, and stronger control on the
structure.
- WXS is modularized, and has object oriented principles. For example, you can
inherit or in some other way reuse a type defined in another schema(and vice
versa).
- There exists binding generators for WXS, which could make it easier for some
communities to adopt DBus.

Cheers,

		Frans