Dbus daemon

Joerg Barfurth Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 10 00:10:23 PST 2006

Robert McQueen wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> The only feature I can think of for a user-level bus is to send broadcasts
>> or signals to all apps from that user.
>

> Er? No. How about services that represent or query resources which are
> conceptually belonging to the user, not to a particular session? Like
> the user's configuration settings, address book, connections to IM or
> VOIP servers...?

Back to square one. For these things you'd need a true per-user (or
per-homedir) bus. But generally you'll only get a per-user-and-machine
bus. Past experience has shown this to create more problems than it
solves. There is fairly limited use for per user-and-machine semantics
and it invites developing things that work on standalone boxes, but
break in networks.

-- Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         joerg.barfurth at sun.com
Thin Client Software