DBUS connection refused

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:16:49 PST 2006

On 3/13/06, Rohit Chaudhri <rohit.chaudhri at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the best way to upgrade DBUS on Ubuntu Linux? I have Ubuntu
> 5.10 installed on my machine which has DBUS 0.36 installed. I got the
> .deb files for version 0.60 of dbus, libdbus, dbus-utils etc from the
> latest Ubuntu repositories (these will be included in the next Ubuntu
> release) , however I can't do the upgrade since the older version of
> dbus is already installed and is being used by system components like
> the Gnome desktop.

The best way is to dist-upgrade to Dapper, since changing the dbus
version most likely will require changes from the program.

> If I try installing using dpkg -i {.deb package name} the installation
> fails since DBUS is currently being used.

Even if it would succeed, programs probably couldn't use the bus
anyway due to changes, so your best and only option is to upgrade.

That said, for development purposes it's feasible to build 0.60 into a
prefix and set up the environment for the developed program. Unless it
needs to talk to other programs in the bus of course.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi