Include service-defined exceptions in introspection data (Was Re: glib bindings (Was Re: [patch] gobject sender and pid))

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Mar 14 17:08:54 PST 2006

Hey, Havoc,

I'm replying in separate mails to restore some sanity to this thread.

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 13:38 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 23:28 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > There is no good solution on how to document D-BUS methods yet; where's
> > the support in Doxygen or gtk-doc? This is actually a problem we ought
> > to solve too :-)
> >

> Sure, let's do it ;-)

But how? Ideally existing tools such as Doxygen, gtk-doc would just take
the introspection XML and do it's thing. If introspection data don't
include this how do you propose we get at it?

> > And I still maintain that what exceptions a method throws is part of the
> > ABI and parts of HAL even rely on this [1]. Thus, it's pretty useful for
> > tools that does ABI checking; for example some enterprise Linux vendors
> > actually checks this when providing upgrades to customers. So if someone
> > wants to update HAL in from RHEL8 to RHEL8U1 and the new HAL now throws
> > SomeNewException on the method Foo on interface Bar there's an easy way
> > to catch this. This is preferable to just seeing (badly written)
> > application XYZ crash or misbehave.
>
> Structured docs

Nice. So if I'm a vendor I need to make my test system understand all
sorts of "structured docs"?!?

> should enable the same, though, without misleading
> people into thinking the exception stuff is part of the type system or
> should be reflected when generating bindings.

Do you disagree that what exceptions _a service_ may throw is part of
the ABI for that service?

(ie. does not include exceptions thrown by the bus, bindings or
low-level libdbus)

    David