Locking

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 12:31:41 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 18:06 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the discussion on dispatch locking has fizzled out, and was
> wondering if:
>
> 1) this would solve the deadlock where client calls server, and before
> server returns it makes a call back to client.  Currently this times
> out.

>From my point of view this is a separate discussion; the locking
discussion was really about how to avoid in-process deadlocks on thread
mutexes. I've posted my views on the cross-process deadlock issue a
number of times though.

> 2) can I help test any patches?  If the patches would fix this problem
> I'd really like to see it committed soon, as it means I don't have to
> wrap large amounts of code in g_idle_add().

I haven't had a chance to write a patch, but I think in the last few
mails Thiago and I were in good agreement on how such a patch would
work. If you have time to work on it I'm happy to help clarify that...