Return an object from a method

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu May 11 11:36:23 PDT 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I'm thinking we should standardize on a tuple format for sending
> service, interface and object path between bindings as part of the spec.
> Not sure if we need to add a new data type but this would make it easy
> to say send a Python dbus.ProxyObject or dbus.Interface as an argument
> to method and have the binding on the other side reconstruct the proxy.
> Object paths on their own are just not descriptive enough.

There's a lot of historical discussion of this "object references"
issue, if considering it suggest searching the archives for some of the
threads and trying to summarize the issues in one writeup.

It's a major can of worms in certain ways, I would not do it for 1.0.

I think it's more something that "seems elegant" than something that's
genuinely all that useful. But then I'm in the "do IPC explicitly" camp
not the "network transparency" camp most of the time.