waiting for dbus_bus_request_name

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat May 20 19:58:55 PDT 2006

Michael K wrote:
> I get a return value of 2 ==>
> DBUS_REQUEST_NAME_REPLY_IN_QUEUE
>
> If I don't use this in the sending program my
> receiving program doesn't get the messages.
>
> the receiving program looks like....

I see, you're talking signals and not method calls, so sender/receiver
are backward from normal.

Anyhow... REPLY_IN_QUEUE should simply mean another copy of your app is
already running. If you filter signals on a bus name like this, then
only one app at a time can own the bus name and send signals that will
be received.

If you want multiple apps to be able to signal, just take the bus name
out of the picture. Don't have the signaling apps request a name, and
don't include a name in the signal matching for the receiver.