dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block and unrelated messages

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon May 29 08:19:23 PDT 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:
>On Sunday 28 May 2006 15:22, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> The reason I'm asking is that I'm making a call to
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.RequestName. Before the reply comes in, we get
>> two signals. This means those two signals will be in the dispatcher
>> queue. But the Qt bindings won't see them until there's activity again
>> in the D-BUS socket.
>
>Another scenario is when you start an async call followed by a sync call
>without returing to the eventloop inbetween.

Well, the call() function accepts three calling modes: NoWaitForReply,
NoUseEventLoop (the default) and UseEventLoop. Whoever uses the latter
must be prepared for other things happening while the reply is pending.

The default, however, will not process unrelated messages. This is exactly
the problem I was seeing, only with method replies instead of signals.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway