dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block and unrelated messages

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon May 29 10:56:50 PDT 2006

William Lachance wrote:
>On 5/29/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
>> On Sunday 28 May 2006 15:22, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> > The reason I'm asking is that I'm making a call to
>> > org.freedesktop.DBus.RequestName. Before the reply comes in, we get
>> > two signals. This means those two signals will be in the dispatcher
>> > queue. But the Qt bindings won't see them until there's activity
>> > again in the D-BUS socket.
>>
>> Another scenario is when you start an async call followed by a sync
>> call without returing to the eventloop inbetween.
>
>This reminds me of something I've been wondering about: is there any
>reason why dbus can't provide an async version of
>dbus_bus_request_name? Such a method would be useful to those of us
>who want to provide a high-level API which is purely non-blocking..

Quite frankly, I don't see the need.

Two reasons:
1) the call goes to the D-BUS server daemon. That should be reasonably
fast.

2) if you really need the async version, place your own call
asynchronously and wait for the reply with DBusPendingCal

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway