[patch] standard_session_servicedirs (was Re: OLPC and .service files in a users home directory)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 14:28:24 PST 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I'm not sure how D-Bus does precedence.  It is not entirely clear in the
> code. We want a users HOME to have the most precedence so they can
> override with their own service files.  It is easy enough to reorder the
> code to generate the string in shell ordering.  The question is do we
> reverse the list during parsing.  Havoc do you have any insight?

According to the dbus-daemon man page, if a .service file exists in two
<servicedir> then the last <servicedir> to appear in the config file
wins. So in the config file the servicedir are in order from lowest to
highest precedence, that would be system dirs -> user dirs as you went
down in the file.

Whether the code corresponds to the docs, I don't know ;-)