GUID ? What for ?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 6 07:03:57 PST 2006

10function wrote:
> Hello,
> May be i missed something while reading the DBus docs but i can't figure what the 'guid' value associated with a BUS path (local or remote) is used for ...
> [ like in : 'unix:path=/usr/local/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket,guid=84b14345e4aaba5daf1651b672abbd00' ]
>
> Could someone give my clues/hints/lights about the guid usage ?

That guid identifies the server you are connecting to.

The basic idea is that if you implemented a dbus binding that concealed
the concept of a connection (perhaps only exposing "objects"), it could
transparently reuse connections instead of opening dozens of connections
to the same server.

dbus_connection_open() will check whether a connection is already open
to that guid and return the existing connection if so.

The guid is used instead of string equality on the address just because
it's less fragile and doesn't introduce issues like whether two paths
point to the same socket.