SIGBUS using DBUS library on ARM

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Wed Nov 8 07:54:00 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 11:05:05AM +0100, Frédéric DALLEAU wrote:
> Thiago,
>
> The problem doesn't appear with optimization disabled.
>
> About arm, I just heard that a short must be accessed through a
> 2-aligned address, an int through a 4-aligned and so on. Individual
> bytes can be accessed at any address.
> In our case, we are reading a short on a 2-aligned address and this
> should work. So I guess the optimiser tried to put an integer read in
> place...

See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/Alignment.

You can request the arm's kernel to fixup unaligned accesses for you. If you
want to debug it, you can also have it send a signal that you can catch with a
debugger :)

The default is to ignore unaligned accesses and do scary things though :(

  Sjoerd
--
Without life, Biology itself would be impossible.