Issue with _dbus_write_socket on windows

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Nov 17 11:38:25 PST 2006

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Havoc Pennington schrieb:
>> I don't know exactly, since I don't know how this works on Windows.
>> What is the "fd" you pass to the daemon's --print-addr-fd function? Is
>> it a pipe or a socket or what is it? On UNIX autolaunch does a
>> fork/exec, what does it do on Windows?

btw what is the answer here? (where do you guys have the windows code
btw, can we look at the work in progress?)

> We are thinking to store the recently used dbus address in the registry,
> which allows the autolaunch code to detect a running dbus-daemon  and to
> be able to connect to it.

Maybe Windows should only have "autolaunch" and never start the daemon
on login; unlike unix there might be a more reliable way to implement
autolaunch. How does the registry solution work in terms of locking,
i.e. say two buses start up simultaneously in the same session, one
should exit and not be used. Is there a way to lock a registry entry or
something that allows that to work?

For the mugshot client we did single instance COM object with
RegisterActiveObject() - that seems like one option. I'm not sure how it
works if the user logs in multiple times (is that even possible?) though.