D-Bus and Bonjour service discovery

Tim Wilkinson tim at hiveminded.com
Wed Nov 22 01:10:35 PST 2006

So ...

> The trick is that the D-Bus "bus" is very much about a central
> daemon. In the setup you describe, which machine is the daemon
> running on?

That's more a 'how' than a 'should' sort of thing.  I'd be happy to
discuss how it can be achieved within the current d-bus model (from
what little I currently comprehend) , but really I'm trying to get a
handle on whether its a good idea at all.  Obviously the subject of
networked d-bus has come up before, and I'm sure it will again - the
question for me immediately is 'should it be done like this'.

> The way I understand bonjour etc. it's more like each computer
> offers services, and other computers can find and connect to them.
> That's different from having a bus that spans multiple computers in
> some way.

Is it?  Or is it merely a matter of spin?  Bonjour (stupid name by
the way) provides a bus for finding services and not a whole heck of
a lot else - certainly doesn't provide the other niceties of d-bus.
And of course it does that by design, leaving the actual comms bits
to the apps themselves.

> You could of course offer a service via something like bonjour,
> where the service happened to use the dbus protocol. But this would
> not require writing any new IPC system or library, it would just be
> a particular application (like music sharing or whatever you were
> coding).

As you say, sure you could to this - but then all you're doing is
using d-bus as a rather useful IPC mechanism and, my understanding
is, that it's more than that.   What I want to find is a way of
enabling d-bus on a local network, and bonjour seems like an obvious
choice for building that bus.

> There are some other IPC systems that offer a "P2P swarm" kind of
> deal for a distributed bus, but this is very different from what
> dbus offers.

Not much into reinventing the wheel (or buying a square one with run
flat tires that wont fit), and d-bus is obviously *the* choice for
Linux right now.  What I'm looking to do is extend those concepts to
a local network environment.

Which brings me back to - are their plans to do this (or similar)
with d-bus and what are people thoughts on the subject.

Cheers
Tim