fail to start X, unknown tag standard_session_servicedirs

frederic heem frederic.heem at telsey.it
Thu Nov 23 02:24:14 PST 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 11:08 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> frederic heem wrote:
> >Hi,
> >After installing dbus 1.0 on a CentOS 4.4 (which is a rhel4) and
> > rebooting, X failed to start and I was stuck with a console login and
> > vi.
> >dbus-daemon complained about the tag "standard_session_servicedirs"
> >Fine that it's not aware or it must not abort for this reason. It shall
> > be robust enough to handle unknown tag.
> >Beware that upgrading dbus was can screw up the whole system.
> >Frederic Heem
>
> Looks like you upgraded the D-Bus configuration files, but not the daemon
> itself.
Actually, there are 2 daemons, one in /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon and the other
one in  /usr/bin/dbus-daemon. The former is the first in the PATH
For some reason, X is using the old one (/usr/bin/dbus-daemon), maybe it
screws up the PATH.
Anyway, the daemon must handle unknown tag nicely.
Frederic Heem