DBus service and interface are available, but aren't responding

Adam Olsen arolsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 08:19:37 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've got an application in which I've been using dbus which has worked ok
until I tried moving the client code to a place before importing things like
gtk and gstreamer.  I wanted the client to test the service and see if it
was available because doing this before importing those libraries will speed
things up a bit.

This code works:

def test_dbus(bus, interface):
    obj = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.DBus', '/org/freedesktop/DBus')
    dbus_iface = dbus.Interface(obj, 'org.freedesktop.DBus')
    avail = dbus_iface.ListNames()
    return interface in avail

if test_dbus(bus, 'org.exaile.DBusInterface'):
    remote_object = bus.get_object("org.exaile.DBusInterface",
    "/DBusInterfaceObject")
iface = dbus.Interface(remote_object, "org.exaile.DBusInterface")
iface.test_service("testing dbus service")

up until the line that says "iface.test_service", and then it hangs until I
get the message:

DbusException: No reply within the specified time

I've got gobject.threads_init() called before this, I'm not sure what is
wrong as this code used to work before I moved the code.

Adam